RE: Demoting rfc2223bis to an informative reference

Hi,

If the goal is to try to break the dependency on a
slow-to-be-finalized RFC, then I suggest a better approach would be to
separate the document publication rules and the mib development
guidelines - have any guidelines about publishing mib documents in the
IETF system, e.g. mib boilerplates and mib security boilerplates and
mib document IPR and mib document requirments for
normative/informative references, moved into [rfc2223bis] (and
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html) and make the mib guidelines
document only about developing mibs, not about IETF document
publication policies.

MIB Doctirs shouldn't have to waste time reviewing whether the
boilerplate is the most current revision, and whether the IPR
statement is the right revision, and whether normative/informative
references have been handled properly, and whether lines are less than
70 characters in length, etc. That should be handled by an
IETF-publication-review-doctors group employed by the RFC-editor or
the IESG for that specific purpose. MIB Doctors should be asked to
review submitted mib modules for their mib design.

Bert, you have expressed concern about not having MIB doctors
available for all the documents you need reviewed. If the job was
about reviewing mib module designs rather than verifying IETF
publication rules compliance, we might find more time to review mib
modules for you.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

In