RE: Demoting rfc2223bis to an informative reference

Inline

I sort of agree in principle. But pratice shows that too much things
do change over time, and so those need to be taken into account.
In fact, I believe we have even changed some of our technical MIB opinions
over the last 2 years since we have been discussing these guidelines.

We DO live in a changing world. That is life.

> I don't want to do a first review of a document against one set of
> guidelines and a second review of the document against a changing set
> of guidelines.

If the authors turn around a new rev quickly then normally that will
not happen. Some authors take years to finis a MIB document, and I
can sort of guarantee you that the rules/guidelines/requirements/prcoedures
(or at least some of that set) will change.

> We need to help authors and WGs get their documents through the
> process, not keep building new roadblocks for them to overcome.
> Making our guidelines dependent on "documents" that are allowed to
> change without RFC republication is a wrong approach in my view.
>
> I can accept a guideline that says a document initally published (i.e.
> -00-) after the publication date of this guidelines RFC
> 1) MUST meet the requirements of the [rfc2223bis] RFC and
> 2) MUST meet the specific mib-relevant alternative requirements
> speifcied in this guidleines RFC, and
> 3) the document and subsequent revisions SHOULD meet the updated
> requirements found in  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt and
> http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html
>
> This allows an author who starts a -00- document after the publication
> of [rfc2223bis] and this guidelines RFC and before an updated
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt is made available to have
> their document accepted as compliant to the then-current requirements.

You know... if doc authors/editors use the xml2rfc tools, then 90% of the
changing-stuff is taken care of automagically and they would not have to worry,
and we would not have to keep "nit-picking" on those things.
I think it would be betetr to try and get everyone converted to that tool.

> One of the problems I have encountered in the bridge WG is that the
> boilerplates changed during post-00- revisions and the editors were
> required to update their documents to the new boilerplates. While
> boilerplates might be nice for IETF publication reasons, they offer NO
> interoperability benefit to operators and they offer NO
> revenue-generation benefit to vendors; requiring vendor-sponsored
> editors to waste precious manhours updating documents to moving
> targets is a pure cost-sink activity. This makes it harder to get
> vendors to sponsor editors. We need STABLE requirements against which
> documents should be checked, not moving targets.
>
> I disagree with trying to demote [rfc2223bis] to an informative
> reference by making a web page the normative reference.

Oh well...

Bert