RE: Documents on Agenda for the February 17 Telechat

I am a somehow confused by Section 2.18 in draft-sinnreich-sipdev-req-05.txt

2.18. Web Based Feature Management

       Req-85: SIP telephony devices SHOULD support an internal web server
                to allow users the option to manually configure the phone
                and to set up personal phone applications such as the
                address book, speed-dial, ring tones, and last but not least
                the call handling options for the various lines, aliases, in
                a user friendly fashion. Web pages to manage the SIP
                telephony device SHOULD be supported by the individual
                device, or MAY be supported in managed networks from
                centralized web servers. Managing SIP telephony devices
                SHOULD NOT require special client software on the PC or
                require a dedicated management console. SIP telephony
                devices SHOULD support https transport for this purpose.

My problems with this section:

- this is as far as I get the only requirement that deals with management and specifically with configuration. I am wondering what kind of interoperable management is being achieved, and why Web Based Feature management is preferred to other applicable protocols for configuration (CLI, RADIUS extensions, etc.)
- what exactly is a centralized web server, and how it interacts with the SIP IP phones?
- SNMP is not mentioned with the exception of requirement Req-63 where it is included in the list of protocols that have the capability to be disabled for security reasons. Why should not SNMP be used for performance monitoring and faults management purposes?

Regards,

Dan