RE: Generic TC Module

Inline

I would think that if we declare that the TC first needs to be
documented (not in a MIB module, but just as a simple TC) and
that we need IETF consensus on it, then we can do it. It would
be OK (as far as I am concerned) to just have such a document
as Informational. The IESG does a 2 week Last Call on them,
and only after approval will IANA add the TC.

For many simple TCs (like the Unsigned16TC and Unsigned8TC) I
would think that this can be done fairly easy and quickly.
For more complicated TCs I see problems. But if they are
complicated, then I doubt they are always genereic. In such
cases we can require them to just be done in some other
document first.

And I think we can defend the idea that the IANA maintained
TCs are good enough for documents at PS, DS and STD level.
We can write that up in our initial document where we
set the rules for additions and an initial set of TCs.
Maybe that initial doc should be BCP and it is OK to
have a ref to a BCP from a DS or STD doc. And we can
make it explicit that IETF has consensus and IESG approves
that such an IANA MIB module can be referenced from PS,
DS, STD.

See... I'd like to be practical and just DO it.

But if two of our core MIB doctors (Mike and Juergen)
already have an issue with it... then we won't get far.

Bert