From: IEEE 802.1 [mailto:hdk-0119.ckxbsg@ATT.NET] On Behalf Of Keith
McCloghrie
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:45 PM
To: STDS-802-1-L@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.1] MSTP MIB - mstpMapTable

> 1. Divide one long OCTET STRING into 4 shorter
>     OCTET STRING. I don't see the reason for it.

The reason is the difference between "must" and "recommended".
Specifically, all the transport mappings in RFC 3417 say the equivalent
of:

   When an SNMP entity uses this transport mapping, it must be capable
   of accepting messages up to and including 484 octets in size.  It is
   recommended that implementations be capable of accepting messages of
   up to 1472 octets in size.  Implementation of larger values is
   encouraged whenever possible.

Keith.

IEEE 802.1 list:
 When forwarding, PLEASE DELETE this footer & list-related header items.
 http://www.ieee802.org/1/email-pages/pwdqq705.html