Re: Generic TC Module

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

Thanks for the further comments.

Anyone interested to do a quick Integer based set of
TCs?

IMO, we don't need a bunch of new TCs for 8 and 16 bit numbers. This is a step backwards to the days when memory was so expensive, that saving a byte here and there actually helped.

This will likely introduce more CLRs into the SMI as well, wrt/
choosing data types and change control rules for the new types.

Andy

W.r.t.

What scares me a bit is the idea of a not well scoped IANA TC module
with some ad-hoc maintenance procedures.

I did not mean they should be ad-hoc. I meant that we would do one RFC that defines a few easy TCs (like the integert TCs discussed sofar) and that also has a good writeup of a set of procedures how we evaluate and get consensus on new TCs that should be added and that we instruct IANA to follow that process before adding any new TC(s). As I said before, this could be a BCP.

Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Bert

/js