Re: MIB review of <draft-glenn-mo-aggr-mib-05.txt>

Bob Braden wrote:

*> >
*> *> Sorry for the late query, but please remind me why this MIB is
*> important enough to use MIB Doctor, IESG, and RFC Editor
*> time, but not important enough to be the product of any WG?
*> *> IMO, these precious resources should be used for standard MIBs instead.
*>

I do not believe that IETF process, which is driven almost entirely by
the interests of individual IETF memberts, has "importance" as a
criterion for chartering a working group.

s/importance/sufficient interest/

From RFC 2418, sec. 2.1, bullet 5:

 - Is there sufficient interest within the IETF in the working
     group's topic with enough people willing to expend the effort to
     produce the desired result (e.g., a protocol specification)?  ...

IMO, the IETF should focus on standards track specifications,
which are produced by WGs.  The IESG should charter a WG when
there are multiple, independent, competent individuals who agree
the "problem" should be solved, and the proposed approach is a
reasonable starting point for achieving a solution.

Andy

Bob Braden