RE: Mib transition

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, David B Harrington wrote:
> A couple things to note:
> 1) When reviewing text in PDF format, you cannot cut and paste the
> text you think needs to be changed, into the formal comments (unless
> you have Adobe Acrobat or something).

I have used an open-source program called pdf2text that turns a PDF
document into (ugly but editable) plain text.  However, if comments
are prepared as a Word document then cutting and pasting via Acrobat
is much more satisfactory.

> 2) the surrounding text (for which we require inordinate amounts of
> editing in the IETF - like security considerations, relationship to
> other mibs, and references) would not be available to implementers and
> users unless they paid for it.

I have no problem with this.  Note that even when the surrounding
MIB-related narrative is available, the actual standard is in
many/most cases still needed for other reasons.  For instance, the
802.3 MIB modules that we produced in the hubmib WG have REFERENCE
clauses pointing to specific sections in the 802.3 standard.

//cmh