RE: MIB transition

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, David B Harrington wrote:
> I don't think we have the right to tell them how their process
> should work, and that they MUST pass MIB Doctor review before
> making changes to our standards.  We would have no authority to
> force that.

I happen to agree with that, but I wanted to know what you thought.

> If we do not transfer the rights to the existing documents, then
> we CAN force any changes to the IETF standard MIB modules to be
> put through MIB Doctor review.

So if the IEEE wanted to modify, e.g., the BRIDGE-MIB, then some
representative of the 802.1 WG would need to submit an rfc4188bis
I-D through the OPS AD for NM for standards-track consideration, and
it would then have to go through the usual approval process?  I
guess that could be made to work, but in addition to MIB doctor
technical review (which is a good thing) it would mean having to run
the rest of the IETF CLR gauntlet (which probably is not).

//cmh