RE: RFC 4181 indeed updates RFC 2578..2580 (fwd)

Hi,

I'm not suggesting creating such a WG.

I'm saying publish it as a BCP, and apply the guidelines when doing
MIB Doctor reviews. As you say, the reality is that these guidelines
will improve MIB development, whether it officially "Updates"
RFC2578-80 or not. I don't see the need to have it officially Update
RFCs 2578-80.

If we do have it officially update RFCs2578-80, do we need to update
the MIB boilerplate to reflect this? Do all MIB modules currently
under development for IETF standards-track need to update their
boilerplates to match, etc.?

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

STD58"
> > > because it makes the "guidelines" a "hard rules" as opposed to
> > > guidelines. I think we intended the last (namely guidelines). I
do
> > > see that at a few places we may be saying that we are in fact
> > > changing a rule.
> >
> > Obviously, the "General Documentation Guidelines" in Section 3
don't
> > have anything to do with RFCs 2578/2579/2580 so we can focus
> attention
> > on Section 4, which says:
> >
> >    The guidelines in this section are intended to supplement the
> SMIv2
> >    documents in the following ways:
> >
> >     o to document the current generally accepted interpretation
when
> >       those documents contain ambiguities or contradictions;
> >
> >     o to update recommendations in those documents that have
> > been shown
> >       by practical experience to be out-of-date or otherwise
> > suboptimal;
> >
> >     o to provide guidance in selection of SMIv2 options in cases
> where
> >       there is a consensus on a preferred approach.
> >
> > The first two bullets are clearly things that could be considered
as
> > updating the SMIv2 RFCs, although there is precedent for not
> > considering ambiguity resolution as a specification update (for
> > instance RFC 1122 is not listed as updating RFCs 791 and 792, even
> > though it has text to clear up many ambiguities in those
> > specifications).  The last bullet covers usage guidelines, and I
> > tend to agree with Bert that since those are guidelines and not
> > hard-and-fast requirements they need not be considered updating to
> > the SMIv2 RFCs.
> >
> > Here is a list of things I've found in RFC 4181 that either update
> > recommendation or document and resolve a contradiction in the
SMIv2
> > RFCs.  The list seems pretty short;  it is possible that I've
> > overlooked something.
> >
> > - Section 4.2 abolishes the recommendation in RFCs 2579 and 2579
> > that names be limited to 32 characters.  It does not alter the
> > requirement that names be limited to 64 characters, so the critera
> > for syntactic validity remain unchanged.
> >
> > - Section 4.6.1.2 abolishes the requirement that RFC 2578 imposes
on
> > "standard" MIB modules that the Counter64 type may be used only if
> > the information being modelled would wrap in less than one hour if
> > the Counter32 type was used instead.
> >
> > - Section 4.9 resolves contradictions between the general rule
that
> > MIB moudule revisions shall not make semantic changes to existing
> > definitions and the specific lists of changes that RFC 2580 allows
> > to be made to compliance statements and capabilities statements.
> >
> > HOWEVER, this is not the whole story.
> >
> > After re-reading the document it becomes clear that RFC 4181
Section
> > 4 supplements the SMIv2 documents in at least one other way that
> > those stated:  in some cases content requirements are imposed on
> > IETF MIB modules that go beyond the minimal requirements of
correct
> > syntax specified in the STD 58 documents.  One example is Section
> > 4.5 on the usage of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.  It says:
> >
> >    RFC 2578 Section 5 describes how the various clauses are used.
> The
> >    following additional guidelines apply to all MIB modules over
> which
> >    the IETF has change control:
> >
> > Another example is the following from Section 4.6.4:
> >
> >    - If dynamic row creation and/or deletion by management
> > applications
> >      is supported, then:
> >    [ ... ]
> >      - There either MUST be one columnar object with a SYNTAX
value
> of
> >        StorageType [RFC2579] and a MAX-ACCESS value of
read-create,