RE: RFC 4181 indeed updates RFC 2578..2580 (fwd)

Hi Mike,

I view this as a CLR.

I can accept this CLR as a BCP guideline that SHOULD be followed to
help improve interoperability between agent implementations and
management applications. If we make this an Update to a STD, and
enforce it as if it were a STD, then it is something to hit people
over the head with. We already have enough CLR-hammers; we don't need
more.

Here's a question for you - how will making this an official update
improve my ability to manage a network, as compared to this being just
BCP guidelines applied during MIB Doctor reviews?

I suspect the answer is "It would give us a bigger hammer." If these
are just guidelines, then WGs and WG chairs can argue with the MIB
Doctors that it doesn't apply in certain circumstances; if we Update
the STD, WGs and WG chairs are denied that privilege. The IETF has not
given us the right to make that change in process.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net