Re: SNMP over Ethernet

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:33:38AM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

> Please help me with a homework. The IEEE 802.1 WG is discussing the
> option on of using SNMP over Ethernet (don't ask). I see that this
> mapping originally defined by RFC 1089 was not included later in the
> list run by RFC 3417? Does anything prevent doing RFC 1089
> encapsulation for SNMPv3?

I would say that a new document needs to be created which obsoletes
RFC 1089 and which defines the necessary infrastructure, at least a
suitable transport domain TC and OID definition.

> BTW, is the old SNMP list still active? I presume that most people
> are on both lists anyway.

I would expect that most email addresses will bounce these days. I
think this is something rather straight forward to define where an
individual draft can actually be lifted on the standards track with
the appropriate review organized by the AD and the longer IETF last
call process.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany