RE: SNMP over Ethernet

In line.

I saw this - what does it mean, BTW? Was those never put on standards
track, was it informational, or because it was during pre-history these
categories were not used then?

> Note that RFC1449 also did not include 1089 encapsulation
> (as far as I can tell from a quickj scan). So it seems it already
> was not too important anymore around early 90s.

Paradoxally it may become now again. The main good reason is that the
802.1 folks are looking for a OAM-like protocol that would run atop of a
layer 2 transport and not mandate an IP layer. SNMP came across as a
candidate, seems to meet quite well the requirements and it's there, no
need to invent something new.

> Bert

Thanks and Regards,

Dan