Nope. it is just unknown (or so I think).
I see that RFC1041 and RFC1043 is PS. And 1042 is STD.
But maybe those classifications were added later.
I can go try to figure out if we find it important.

> > Note that RFC1449 also did not include 1089 encapsulation
> > (as far as I can tell from a quickj scan). So it seems it already
> > was not too important anymore around early 90s.
>
> Paradoxally it may become now again. The main good reason is that the
> 802.1 folks are looking for a OAM-like protocol that would run atop of a
> layer 2 transport and not mandate an IP layer. SNMP came across as a
> candidate, seems to meet quite well the requirements and it's
> there, no need to invent something new.

See Juergens posting. I tend to agree with his "better do a new short
RFC that obsoletes 1089 and adds transport mapping definitions".

Bert