Re: Requirements [was Re: Transport level multihoming]

Joe,

If the BGP update fails to propagate before the TCP timeout pops,
the application has to restart. Even if this is very rare,
reliable apps must allow for it. (This means any app with
transactional integrity requirements - these simply can't assume
a reliable transport layer, whatever the TCP spec promises.)

That's why my requirement isn't for survivable TCP; it's
a much weaker requirement, that IP connectivity survives.
Note: I did not say IP connectivity with the same address pair.
This in no way implies that "CIDR-style" is the only solution.

   Brian