Re: An idea: GxSE

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> >I understand how you feel, however, I feel rather strongly that we should
> >do this the right way from the start.  One of the biggest problems with
> >NAT is that it was an afterthought, thus broke many things.  We're not
> >designing a protocol here, just ways to handle certain situations.
>
> 	i disagree about the "from the start" part.  the deployment is already
> 	started here and there.  maybe this is because i'm in Japan, but
> 	i feel it way too late to make any changes to the way routers/hosts
> 	work.

I work for Motorola in Advanced Network Technologies.  We are painfully
aware of v6, both in Japan and in cellular IP.

> 	also, remember why GSE proposal was not integrated into IPv6 -
> 	IPv6 is designed based on IPv4 experiences, and tries to benefit
> 	from the success of IPv4.  if we add too many fundamental design
> 	changes into IPv6 (like 8+8 address rewrites on routers)
> 	we may not be able to success in IPv6, like IPv4 did.

Yes, I understand this, but a lot of things have changed in v4, and what
we are trying to do here is make v6 better.  v6 is not widely deployed.
We are trying to design things that will work seamlessly, so it is a
choice of whether or not to implement/when to implement.

> >Furthermore, we're discussing technology in its infancy.  There is no
> >reason not to explore the possibilities.  Remember, WE make the rules, so
> >we might as well look at all the options to the good ones.  These
> >decisions will be with us for at LEAST a decade, let's make decisions we
> >can deal with.
>
> 	well, IPng effort was started year 1992 and now it's year 2001.
> 	i don't really agree with the "infancy" argument.
> 	you may notice that the email have went through IPv6-to-IPv4
> 	translator to the mail list server (it may show the evidence on

This is multi6, not IPng, and multi6 is young.  Furthermore, we have the
chance to do things right instead of kludging them as we go along.  My
vote is for doing it right ahead of time.  v6 is still very young.  Anyone
deploying it already knows there is still work being done on it and that
some of this work may affect the future.

-Taz

--
        "Be liberal in what you accept,
      and conservative in what you send."