Re: An idea: GxSE

I understand your point, but with careful construction this shouldn't be
an issue.  Assuming you use a link state protocol for the interior portion
and you allow the border routers to notify the interior routers of the
egress point, you could move the rewrite closer to the edge.  In fact, if
you let the initial rewrite occur at the egress router, and then move the
rewrite backwards into the network, with the egress router indicating
validity of all recently used routes back into the IGP/other protocol for
this purpose, you would know where the packets are going.

Basically, if there is a topology change, you just need to make sure
your path is still valid.  Another behavior to control this may be to stop
rewriting at the edge if you detect a topology change that may affect your
internal routing, and let the egress router rewrite and re-alert you.

I had another point, but I forgot it...serves me right for stepping away
to deal with something else.

-Jon

--
        "Be liberal in what you accept,