Re: An idea: GxSE

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:

>         I also think that Enterprise network engineers often view
> network issues VERY differently than backbone network engineers.
> Neither is right or wrong necessarily.  The network contexts are really
> different between a small enterprise, a large enterprise, and any
> backbone.

I've dealt with all three, rather extensively.  I've noticed that often
enterprises whose engineers don't "think big" are also the ones whose
networks are constantly broken.

> >ummm?  I don't think you understand GxSE.
>
>         Remind me again, what is the filename on your Internet Draft ? :-)

Touche.  This really is just conversation, though.  A draft will come
later, after there are requirements (unless Paul has other ideas?  the
idea did start with him).

> >Heh.  The point is that ASIC changes mean hardware changes.
> >That's even more slowly adopted.
>
>         I'd be startled if multiple vendors couldn't do address
> rewriting already.  It uses roughly the same hardware logic as NAT,
> so if one has a partially programmable forwarding engine and
> thought about NAT, one might well have the capability in the
> ASICs already deployed.  Different folks mileage will vary of course.

This may or may not be true.  Just becase rewriting is possible doesn't
mean it is possible in this manner, especially since it's not a one to one
or many to one relationship, but a decision tree relationship.

-Taz

--
        "Be liberal in what you accept,
      and conservative in what you send."