Re: requirements draft revision

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:45:29AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Is a transit provider not itself an enterprise? I was assuming it
> > was.
>
> i try not to use the same noun to refer to two different concepts
> within the same sentence.  intentional puns excepted, of course.

I don't mean "enterprise" to have the meaning "customer". I mean it
like "autonomous system", but without the routing/BGP connotations.

  An "enterprise" is an entity autonomously operating a network using
  TCP/IP and, in particular, determining the addressing plan and
  address assignments within that network.

Consider:

        |     |
        D     E

A, B, C, D are all enterprises. B, E are transit providers of C.
A, D are transit providers of B. Both C and B are multi-homed.

If C has customers, then C is a transit provider for those customers.

Joe