Re: OT: prefix length used by backbone routers

>>> Can't backbone routers assume 48 bit look-up for best effort unicast
>>> forwarding?
>> given the current addressing and routing model, i don't think so
> Are you saying there is no fixed boundary at /48 even in the
> backbone?

yes, that is what i am saying.  the /48 boundary is soft, and is only for
fp=001.  we should not hard code the equivalent of A/B/C in routers again.

>>> Though who want to sell value-added (such as MPLS) routers may
>>> disagree, it is important for low-cost high-speed Internet.
>> i suspect the days of forwarding lookup speed problems are past us
> I'm afraind you are assuming maximum router speed as slow as 10Gps.

no i am not.  i am presuming that the forwarding lookup will continue to
keep up with line speeds.

randy