Re: OT: prefix length used by backbone routers

At 04:31 PM 8/10/01 +0859, Masataka Ohta wrote:
>Randy;

>> > Can't backbone routers assume 48 bit look-up for best effort unicast
>> > forwarding?
>>
>> given the current addressing and routing model, i don't think so
>
>Are you saying there is no fixed boundary at /48 even in the
>backbone?
>
>Then, it may affect multi6 proposals.

There may be a fixed /48 boundary.
But a router vendor can not assume that
there is one -- it could change next week...
And given that the edit-compile-debug loop of
ASICs is measured in months, not minutes,
we need to assume the worst case.

Frank Kastenholz