Re: OT: prefix length used by backbone routers

Randy;

> > Are you saying there is no fixed boundary at /48 even in the
> > backbone?
>
> yes, that is what i am saying.  the /48 boundary is soft, and is only for
> fp=001.  we should not hard code the equivalent of A/B/C in routers again.

Then, is multihoming proposal using a particular addressing
structure acceptable?

I guess an idea initiaed multi6 BoF was, though broken, the case.

> >> i suspect the days of forwarding lookup speed problems are past us
> > I'm afraind you are assuming maximum router speed as slow as 10Gps.
>
> no i am not.  i am presuming that the forwarding lookup will continue to
> keep up with line speeds.

The problem is that, due to the difficulties of high bandwidth low
latency inter-chip communication, routing engine core will be on a
single chip, capacity of which is, for the time being, limited.

						Masataka Ohta