RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

A few observations:

I thought this was standard practice. Have a name of the other side, do a
DNS lookup.
And anyway, the busy servers are a DNS problem, not a SCTP problem.

> Also, I don't think it is a good idea to mandate every
> application to be
> aware of all multi-address details, which SCTP requires. We
> must remember
> that SCTP was invented primarily for carrying signaling messages (the
> abstract says as much), and one of its co-authors I talked to says he
> thinks that general applications should *not* have to deal
> with all these
> details.

As far as I know multihoming, having multiple addresses is the only way for
SCTP to multihome. If we had had the ability for a single identifier to
specify the multihomed association, I(amongst others) would have been more
than joyfull. Unfortunally, that not how multihoming works in the internet.
You have to come up with more than one IP address and each sour_destination
pair should(in theory) have its own path between the 2 endnodes. and each of
these paths should((which again in theory) not overlap wholly or partly.
If multihoming is done via multiple addresses, then we have to live by its
consequences.

Yours sincerly,
Lode Coene