RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

At 05:05 04/09/01, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>I know internet exchanges are out of vogue in the US, but they are a
>reality in Europe. The AMS-IX carries 3 Gbit/s of traffic, compared to 300
>Mbit for the New York Internet Exchange, even though bandwidth is a lot
>cheaper in the US than in NL. The number of people that live in The
>Netherlands is comparable to that in the NYC metro area. (But then the
>AMS-IX is one of the four to six main exchange points in Europe.)

        The above is not a good comparison.  Virtually no
international links terminate in NYC metro (most US-side termination
of trans-Atlantic links is in/near southern NJ instead).  Lots of
international links terminate in AMS metro area.

        AMS-IX, LINX, MAE-E, MAE-W, and Pennsauken NAP are all viable
exchanges (and will be long into the future) because they facilitate
*regional* and *international* interconnects, not merely metro
interconnects.

Ran
rja@inet.org