Re: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

At 09:27 04/09/01, Ramakrishna Gummadi wrote:
>Hi,
>I don't think that it is a good idea to assume that every
>multihomed host has a DNS entry (for whatever reason)

Today if a host doesn't have a DNS entry, it generally has NIL
incoming connectivity.  The Internet Architecture expects hosts
to have DNS entries, so such an assumption and constraint
is totally reasonable.

>My second complaint, and this applies to SCTP as well, is that we are
>implicitly assuming here that one end can do DNS lookups to learn the
>addresses of the other end---this may be impossible with busy servers.

In deployed reality, this just is NOT an actual problem or issue.

        There are LOTS of real issues and problems with multi-homing.
It would be a lot more constructive if you focused on those,
rather than trying to invent new issues/problems artificially
out of non-issue/non-problems.

Cheers,

Ran
rj@inet.org