RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> >Apart from being a regional/international exchange, the AMS-IX also
> >functions as a national exchange.

>         ISPs are indifferent to national exchanges.  It is the regional/
> international exchanges that make economic sense to ISPs today.

A bit of economic sense. Many years ago, I did some traffic analysis. I
concluded that for an average dial-up ISP 45% of the traffic was
transatlantic, 10% to the rest of Europe and 45% to destinations within
The Netherlands. I haven't repeated the full analysis, but as far as I've
seen, this pattern has stayed very much the same.

Now, considering that:

- there are no other exchanges to speak of (yet) in NL

- relatively few other Dutch networks connect to other European exchanges,
  and those that do to relatively few of them

would you agree that it makes economic sense for a Dutch network to
connect to the AMS-IX?

I've seen it time and time again (and I've had a hand in it a few times
too): as soon as a Dutch network that provides transit services, be it
dial-up, leased lines or colo, starts to use more than one or two E1s it
connects to the AMS-IX.

>         However, lets take this offline unless it gets tied firmly
> back to multi6 topics in the interest of good list S/N ratio. :-)

I've made all my points on the subject, I think.

Iljitsch van Beijnum