RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

At 15:45 04/09/01, Christian Huitema wrote:
>There is also a practicality issue.

Good point.

>Then, there is a performance issue. Last time I checked, about 25% of
>DNS queries took more than 3 seconds to complete. In fact, if you look
>at http://www.netsizer.com/daily/quality_today.html, you observe that at
>least 5% of queries for the addresses of large servers don't complete in
>less than 3 seconds, and that 5% of queries for the addresses of small
>servers don't complete in less than 6 seconds! I don't believe that
>adding more load to the DNS is a good idea, when the infrastructure is
>so obviously strained.

If DNS is about to collapse, that's a pretty urgent problem to fix,
because it is the primary way folks find the peer in the first place
these days.

>There is an obvious alternative to DNS discovery of peer addresses,
>which is, have the peer tell you.

One must find the peer somehow before the peer can give you their
other addresses.  Or are you suggesting that just using IP addresses
in host files is user-friendly and scales to the current Internet ?

Ran