RE: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

At 17:15 04/09/01, you wrote:
>As far as it does not require every IPv6 device to have DNS entries.
>In this regard, I fully agree with Christian that we must be prepared
>to let those game boxes, IM services, etc. get the benefit of
>multihoming even if they don't appear in DNS.

I wouldn't be bothered if requiring at least one AAAA/A6 record
to exist was a precondition to multihoming working.  I might even
be comfortable with requiring more than one in DNS, if explained
as part of a detailed proposal (not sure, but open minded).  Clearly
you and Christian would be bothered and that has been noted.

Even the game boxes or toasters connected via cable modem have DNS
records -- the cable network operators and dialup operators and
DSL operators normally assign both forward and reverse DNS records
to all their users' IP addresses (just to preserve the sanity of the ISP
in troubleshooting things, not because of any more complex motive).
So it isn't something residential users even need to think about
these days.

Ran