Re: A new spin on multihoming: multihoming classes.

At 10:05 06/09/01, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Many of the large networks would really like an 8k global routing table
>> in IPv6. That means: no more than 8192 ISPs with a PA block of their own.
>
>really?  as it forms the base of your argument, i must ask if there is a
>basis for this assertion?

        I'd be comfortable with more than 8192 provided
the routing system still met the criterion Randy outlines below.

>my impression is that large (and small) providers would like fairly stable
>routing which converges predictably in reasonable time.

        Yep.

>if that can be done with ten, 100k, or 5,000,000 routes is
>not so important.  but, as i said, that is merely my impression.

        Some few folk think that somewhere between 100K and 300K prefixes
it isn't stable to have "fairly stable routing which converges
predictably in reasonable time" when using current BGP and current
BGP algorithms.  Those folk are credible, but I haven't seen any
equations yet myself.