Re: A new spin on multihoming: multihoming classes.

Daniel -

>> Hm, I might have another one: sending traffic with
>> a source address from ISP A over a link to ISP B
>> can be a problem.

There is a MAMH version of MHTP that is exactly what
you and Ilsitch are talking about (NAT based, initial
resolution based on DNS and it does have failover,
too). I discarded it for two reasons: it uses DNS
and what you mention just above. The idea is
technically workable as long as you accept that
the system is far from being perfect, but it has not
a single chance of political acceptance.

>> There are multi-ported NAT Boxes on the market
>> today which provide a flavor of multihoming with
>> IPv4. This approach, with one-to-one NAT, can
>> provide some level of service today to make a site
>> "multihomed" in an IPv4 world.

You can configure it with a Cisco router using
reflexive access-lists, but the load balancing implies
a hack on the DNS server.

>> One of my concerns is that these boxes (available
>> today) will look more attractive to many people
>> than a migration to IPv6.

This is not the place to discuss it, and it remains
to be seen. I can tell you quite frankly that I am
familiar with that configuration and that it would
easily integrate with MHTP and I have decided not
to make a fool of myself by waiting to see if it
pumps up speed in the IPv4 world first. If it does,
I'll publish it.

Michel