Re: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

Late reply...

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Mattias Pettersson wrote:
>
> > I would like you to consider Homeless Mobile IPv6
> > <draft-nikander-mobileip-homelessv6-01.txt> as well. It tries to solve
> > mobility and multihoming in one attempt somewhere around layer 3.5.
>
> Looks good. A few questions:
>
> - what happens when an address suddenly fails and is no longer reachable?
>
> - what happens if TCP tries to set up a connection but the address it
>   chooses doesn't respond (and there is another address that works
>   available)?

As long as there are multiple addresses available the sending node is
free to select any of them as destination address.

I guess an ICMP error message or an upper layer lack of progress signal
would cause a bad address to either be removed or lowered in priority.
Similar ideas are used in Mobile IPv6 today. That would apply to both of
your questions.

In addition, in the first case, the peer can send packets to the node in
question and the source address of those packets would indicate a new
better destination address to use.

> - would it be possible to offload homeless mobile ipv6 processing on some
>   kind of "mobile proxy" so hosts that do not support the protocol can use
>   it anyway?

That's an alternative to look at. Otherwise, the Homeless protocol is
backwards compatible wrt Mobile IPv6, so that all that is required is
standard correspondent node behaviour, which is mandatory for all IPv6
nodes anyway.

/Mattias