Re: Multihoming by IP Layer Address Rewriting (MILAR)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Mattias Pettersson wrote:

> > - what happens when an address suddenly fails and is no longer reachable?

> > - what happens if TCP tries to set up a connection but the address it
> >   chooses doesn't respond (and there is another address that works
> >   available)?

> As long as there are multiple addresses available the sending node is
> free to select any of them as destination address.

> I guess an ICMP error message or an upper layer lack of progress signal
> would cause a bad address to either be removed or lowered in priority.
> Similar ideas are used in Mobile IPv6 today. That would apply to both of
> your questions.

Yes, but what does the user experience? I can do round robin DNS for two
IP numbers for a website and since you can still connect 50% of the time
when one address fails, this could be considered a solution. Users
won't like it, though.

Having a connection setup attempt fail so it has to be retried at the
application level is not good enough.

Iljitsch van Beijnum