RE: Provider Independent addressing format drafts

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Yes, and I don't believe it will work as you expect. Small
> companies will
> use PI /48s and ISPs will announce them in exchange for
> money. Tragedy of
> the commons all over again.

Yes the direct connected ISP has to announce the /48 for any redundancy
to work, and that will happen no matter what format we choose. What this
version of the document is suggesting is that those small business /48's
be restricted to a region by virtue of a well defined policy which says
only 4 /48's per origin AS. Unless the small business can justify that
it has a distinct policy from its providers it will not have an AS, so
its /48 will appear with origins from each of the connected providers.
Since those AS's will be origin for well over 4, they will be filtered
and restricted to a region.

Tony