Re: Provider Independent addressing format drafts

Yes, Tony, but that is a policy decision - not something the
IETF can dictate by a standard, and one that personally I don't
think the ISP community would respect.

  Brian

Tony Hain wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > Yes, and I don't believe it will work as you expect. Small
> > companies will
> > use PI /48s and ISPs will announce them in exchange for
> > money. Tragedy of
> > the commons all over again.
>
> Yes the direct connected ISP has to announce the /48 for any redundancy
> to work, and that will happen no matter what format we choose. What this
> version of the document is suggesting is that those small business /48's
> be restricted to a region by virtue of a well defined policy which says
> only 4 /48's per origin AS. Unless the small business can justify that
> it has a distinct policy from its providers it will not have an AS, so
> its /48 will appear with origins from each of the connected providers.
> Since those AS's will be origin for well over 4, they will be filtered
> and restricted to a region.
>
> Tony

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org