RE: (ngtrans) Update to Provider Independent addressing format drafts

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Michel Py wrote:

> I could not agree more with Tim. Add to the picture that Tim painted
> connections with dozens of customers, providers or partners, all of them
> having BGP peers, static routes and access-lists on their routers
> referring to the block to be renumbered, and you make renumbering almost
> impossible because you have to coordinate it with a score of third party
> companies that might have other priorities than adapting their own setup
> because one needs to renumber.

I disagree. I have personally renumbered two relatively small ISPs
(including customers!) a total of three times. That would be 5 - 20
routers and 10 - 40 servers.

When compared to a lazy afternoon of doing nothing, renumbering is a lot
of work. When compared to the routine maintanance that happens anyway over
a period of several months, the added trouble of renumbering is fairly
negligible.

BTW: changing domains isn't much of a problem: just register a new address
for your name server.

Iljitsch van Beijnum