RE: (multi6) requirements draft comments

> To conclude, let me repeat a few ideas that I have read in other
documents
> that some of you might be familiar with:
> - The market does not like revolutions; the Internet has historically
> evolved with incremental changes.
> - What we decide in this workgroup is one thing, what the market does
is
> quite another.
> - End-to-end connectivity is important.
> - An imperfect solution is better than no solution.

Nobody wants to throw away the existing solution, which is to inject a
global route for a few multi-homed sites. However, this solution clearly
has limits. Today, about 30% of the homes who have 1 PC also have a
second one; is it absurd to think that tomorrow 30% of the homes who
have DSL will also have a cable modem? What happens when 30% of home
networks are multi-homed?

I believe that we will see multiple solutions, and I would categorize
these solutions in two large classes: the solutions that require the
cooperation of the network service providers, and the solutions that
don't. My contention is that a mass market solution should not require
any action from the ISP.

-- Christian Huitema