RE: (multi6) requirements draft comments

Christian Huitema wrote:

> Nobody wants to throw away the existing solution, which is to inject a
> global route for a few multi-homed sites. However, this solution clearly
> has limits. Today, about 30% of the homes who have 1 PC also have a
> second one; is it absurd to think that tomorrow 30% of the homes who
> have DSL will also have a cable modem? What happens when 30% of home
> networks are multi-homed?

While I agree with your sentiment, I believe there are multiple classes that
must be considered.  I don't believe that a user should be able to inject
global prefixes from a cable modem and a DSL line at home; however, I do
believe there's room for global prefixes to be injected by large,
multi-national enterprises as end-users.  I ask for caution within this
community not to condemn a solution that may be right for the very large
end-users because of a fear someone might want to apply it to home networks --
they're vastly different beasts.

> I believe that we will see multiple solutions, and I would categorize
> these solutions in two large classes: the solutions that require the
> cooperation of the network service providers, and the solutions that
> don't. My contention is that a mass market solution should not require
> any action from the ISP.

I would probably organize them a bit differently, based upon the
characteristics of the multi-homed downstream/end-user networks.

/cah