Re: (multi6) requirements draft comments

    Craig> While I agree with your sentiment, I believe there are multiple
    Craig> classes that must be considered.  I don't believe that a user
    Craig> should be able to inject global prefixes from a cable modem and a
    Craig> DSL line at home; however, I do believe there's room for global
    Craig> prefixes to be injected by large, multi-national enterprises as
    Craig> end-users.  I ask for caution within this community not to condemn
    Craig> a solution that may be right for the very large end-users because
    Craig> of a fear someone might want to apply it to home networks --
    Craig> they're vastly different beasts.

  I believe that there are three solution spaces:
    1) large multi-national entreprise solutions.
       (if you have geographically relevant addressing, either via
       geo-PI, or via national governments doing all assignments. Perhaps
       not a reality in the "free markets", but possibly true for other
       less free areas, but also places like Antartica, the Moon, Mars...)

       This is more or less the BGP solution space.

    2) network layer solutions.
       mobile-IP like systems.
         Some people believe that this requires some kind of global PKI
	 on the reverse name space. (note: PKI = PK infrastructure, which
	 maybe PK+DNSSEC. It may not imply x509/pkix)

       opportunistic-encryption-like-tunnel systems.
	 Given the above global PKI, you can assign PI addresses to everyone
	 which are *not* routed. You can then advertise how to get to these
	 places by putting stuff into DNS reverse map.
		(see draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-03.txt)
         This is no different than the mobile-IP system, it just never tries
	 to optomize anything.

       HIP-like systems- a variation of the above where IP addresess
		become meaningless, and hashes of public keys terminate
		connections.

    3) transport layer solutions.
       Just use SCTP for everything with PA addressing.

  None of these solutions are even exclusive. I can see all three systems
occuring at the same time.