RE: Missing DNS reqt? [was Re: (multi6) requirements draft comments]

Andrew Partan wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:38:59AM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > The solutions must include an analysis of their effects, if any,
> > on DNS updates, including consideration of load for the global
> > updating of the DNS, and interactions with DNS TTL and caching.
>
> Note that a solution could not effect the DNS at all.  I.e.: I
> could see something that has the EID/routing-goop split and a
> different (non-DNS) solution of how you get from EIDs to the
> routing-goop.  The DNS would only deal with EIDs.

I agree with Brian, the requirement must include an analysis. Keep in
mind that doesn't mean there will necessarily be any impact, but it must
be addressed.

J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I understand that dynamic updating might be an issue, but
> that's going to be
> a problem no matter what system you keep the mapping in. I
> also understand
> that DNS has problems, and maybe we really want son-of-DNS.
> But still, why
> keep the two mappings in separate databases? What's the
> benefit, when you
> look at the entire system?

Actually this gets more to the point that I think Brian was after, the
solution must include an analysis of its effects on the entire existing
system. This would catch DNS, but also any interaction with the current
interdomain routing environment.

Tony