RE: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

Christian,

> Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> maybe i got this all wrong, but...

You got it right. Let's keep something in mind: the kind of traffic
engineering we are talking about is egress: you have a big honkin'
server farm serving a boatload of customers wherever. The bulk of the
traffic is return traffic, let's say http traffic.

Here's the scenario: the home/soho host that is multihomed with cable
and dsl makes a choice on which of its own addresses (the cable one, or
the dsl one) to use. This choice will dictate on which pipe the return
traffic from the web server to the requesting host goes.

This is what we really are talking about here: Joe-six-pack's PC thinks
the ping to the cable default gateway is better than the ping to the dsl
default gateway and chooses its own source address to be the cable's
one.

And this, gentlemen, is *not* what I call traffic engineering.

Michel.