RE: PI/metro/geo [Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development]

Tony,

This is blatantly unfair.  As an "arms merchant", I fully want
to sell gear to all interested parties, both ISPs and enterprise
alike.  And, as a certain AD is fond of reminding me, the enterprise
is a very big market.  Why would I want to torque the enterprise?

Instead, I want to help all parties by growing the net in a
reasonable and scalable way.  That should be what we're all trying
to do here.

The operation issues that I know of NEVER favor restricting topology.
In fact, restricting topology is the result of geographic aggregation
as it forces providers to interconnect within the aggregation boundary.
Operational issues instead favor a haphazard, need driven, cost
optimized topology.  Yes, ok it's chaotic, but it's the result of
capitalism at its finest.

Provider independence isn't necessarily helped only by PI space.
There are other ways.  The real point is to avoid the pain and
anguish of renumbering.  If we were to go down the GSE path, for
example, changing providers simply means changing the "routing gorp".
The host identifier remains the same.  You reconfigure your border
router(s) and you're done.  Infinitely less painful than dealing with
the boring things like acutally bringing up a new tail circuit.  ;-)

You are also assuming that aggregation and multihoming are somehow
at odds.  They are not.  All you have to do is to disconnect the
locator and the identifier as GSE does and aggregate only the
locators.  Each host in a multihomed domain has a single identifier,
but multiple locators.  No deaggregation happens because the locators
are bound to the provider and thus we have good topological
'addressing'.  The enterprise doesn't lose because we tweak the
transport to base the pseudoheader on the host identifier and then
let the locator be free to be replaced by border routers.  Connections
flip back and forth between locators easily.

How does this not solve the (non-ideological) issues at hand?

Tony