RE: GSE

Tony Li wrote:
> Suppose that we wish to insure that hosts do not play with locators
> as an architectural principle.  [I'm not married to this, but
> I am exploring this.]
>
> Now, when a host receives an incoming connection, it needs to reply
> to that particular identifier, but it has no idea what host name is
> associated with the identifier.  The border router then needs to do
> an identifier lookup to determine the locator for the originator of
> the connection.

Taking the next step, the system that the border router would need to
look that identifier up in would need to churn as the identifier moves
from home, to Starbucks, to the airport, to the hotel... If it is to
scale comparable to DNS, there needs to be distributed caching, which in
turn leads to TTLs, and a minimum period between usable movements.

In the abstract, isn't this approach just a global learning bridge where
the table is external to the forwarding engines?

Tony