Re: Transport multihoming

RJ Atkinson wrote:

On Tuesday, Nov 5, 2002, at 06:09 America/Montreal, Manuel Urueña Pascual wrote:

I don't understand why have a separate space for ID alone solves the
stealing problem. Anyone can steal your ID unless cryto is used, of
course. Do I miss something?
You are not missing anything.  Anytime any identity is being used
*without* cryptographic authentication, that identity might be forged.
Most identities used today (e.g. IPv6 address) are used without cryptography
in deployed practice.
I guess I was careless in my language, (and perhaps even muddy in
my thinking).   With separate spaces, *address* "ownership" is not
much a problem in the sense it is in MIPv6, but *ID* "ownership"
certainly is.   While RR (Return Routability) works, to a degree,
with *address* ownership, it certainly doesn't work with *ID*
ownership (that is, if IDs are separated from locators).

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the clarification, Ran.

--Pekka Nikander