Re: My impressions of the Sunday meetings....

BUT, I think that we need more data, experience and time.
Oh, for land sakes, how much more "data, experience and time" do we need
with the current architecture to know that it's a sad mismatch with what
people are trying to do out in the world? (Ref Iljitsch's wonderful message
about how "most services run on several hosts (load balancers)", etc, etc.)

I think we've now got plenty of data to say that minor tweaks to the
existing architecture just ain't gonna cut it. But of course now we get into
the whole problem I alluded to earlier, which is how to you get a behemoth
like the IETF to accept something radically new.

I agree that minor tweaks won't do it. But do I know what type of problem you are trying to solve? How will larger allocations given to ISPs affect the growth rate of prefixes in the DFZ for non-multihomed customers? Are we building a solution for N enterprises? How large do we think that the allocations to the enterprises will be? Is this mostly going to be home DSL users? Will they all have /48s? How fast will this pick-up? How will the pricing imposed by operators for multihoming solutions affect the pickup rate?

There is a lot more work that needs to be done than just add multiple addresses....especially in the enterprise networks. Currently we can't even say at what rate multihomed prefixes are coming online with IPv4.

- kurtis -