Re: Host-based may be the way to go, but network controls are neccessary

I'm not saying pre-CIDR was the garden of eden, but today's
aggreagation
hides information that could have been used for more optimal routing.

If what you are saying is that a single unaggregated prefix per site
was a better choice to find the best paths, I think that is to greatly
oversimplify the problem.
CIDR was a very good thing to do as we are essentially now solving this
problem 10 years later so it bought us 10 years. However, it does chip
away at the underlying IP architecture. You don't want to re-architect
at the drop of a hat but at some point it becomes inevitable. We're not
even there yet, but we are certainly feeling the pain of all the
previous chipping.
Eh, as far as I remember CIDR was more a way to buy us time from address shortage and lead to more efficient usage of the IPv4 address space. It was never intended to solve the multihoming issue.

- kurtis -