Re: Site local

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> Ok, I am more or less with the idea of locator+identifier. What I am
> worried about is the effects of this on the applications.

> My main reason for being against anything that could lead down a NAT
> road (and I am worried that any attempt besides assigning global
> addresses everywhere will lead there)

Tony already addressed this, but let me offer a different spin:

The problem with NAT is not that the addresses in the IP header are
changed. The problem with NAT is that you're not talking to who you
think you are talking to. And if you don't know, you can't tell someone
else, so it becomes impossible to set up new connections in a different
way than from the same source to the same destination as the current
session. So this breaks pretty much everything except stuff that follows
a simple client/server model.

In a identifier/locator system, the endpoints are always aware of the
identifiers. Since such a system isn't here yet, we can make this a very
hard requirement. Changing the locators around is then no longer an
issue.

Iljitsch