Re: Site local

On fredag, nov 29, 2002, at 05:38 Europe/Stockholm, Tony Li wrote:

Hope you're feeling better.
Yupp!

In particular, what I was suggesting was that the separation of
locators and identifiers would greatly simplify the (perceived)
problem that is driving site local addresses anyway. A site would
get global identifiers immediately and then when they connect to
the net (or change connections), they would only change the locator
part.

By itself, that seems like a lesser win. However, if the architecture
is tweaked so that the site's global locators are only known to the
site's border routers, then the only changes that need to be done
are very trivial.

In short, someone else has another motivation for the same architectural
flexibility that a group here has been asking for all along.
Ok, I am more or less with the idea of locator+identifier. What I am worried about is the effects of this on the applications.

My main reason for being against anything that could lead down a NAT road (and I am worried that any attempt besides assigning global addresses everywhere will lead there) is that I have seen the effects this has had on delaying deployment of new services and creating problems at end sites.

- kurtis -