RE: network controls are necessary

Expecting hosts to have useful logic to perform source address selection seems a recipe for trouble in multiple regards.
Recognizing and selecting link local addresses is probably not an issue. But as soon as you step beyond that, things break. They break in two different ways at once.

In one regard, you end up needing significantly more logic in the host to make any kind of intelligent choice. This means more code, more state, and more things for the network administrator to configure (probably incorrectly.)
Secondly, you couple the hosts into the behavior of the rest of the routing system, reducing the ability of the system to cope with changes (either network changes or protocol changes.)

If we really want the hosts to make the choice (a concept I am doubtful of) I suppose we could invent a query / response protocol for the purpose of asking a routing intelligent server what source /dest pair from a given set of sources and dests would be a good pair to use.

I strongly prefer the notion that other entities in the system would make the intelligent choice about the source address to use, and could change that choice as necessary.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern