RE: network controls are necessary

As far as I know,
1) We do not have paths that provide these properties
2) If we had such paths, the likelihood is that the host would not have enough information to determine which locator would give the desired properties.

Yes, there is (and has been for many years) ongoing discussion of QoS. We still have not found a sensible and useful way to provide differentiation in that dimension.

One of the reasons I want to keep hosts out of the routing space is that if we ever do find routing solutions that we want to use for new capabilities (QoS or otherwise) I would not want to have to upgrade the hosts as well as the routers to deliver such capabilities.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern