Re: host or border router

On Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002, at 12:58 America/Montreal, Tony Li wrote:
| I believe doing it in the actual SBR is a non-starter. Sure, you can
| build a box that can replace addresses and maintain the
| state that goes
| with this. And sure, you can build a box that can forward
| IP real fast.
| I'm just not sure you can do both at the same time, and even if it's
| possible, it won't be cost effective.

Sorry, nope. First, there are multiple systems out there today
that could do this or are close to it. Folks are pretty much there
today with OC-48 interfaces and silicon forwarding, so there is
enough thrust to support a wire speed GigE.
There are multiple equipment vendors out there today who can do roughly
this on multiple interfaces at more than 1 Gbps line rate per interface.
I'm not sure about 10 Gbps line rate today, but in a year or two even on
a 10 GigE interface this should be feasible for multiple equipment vendors.
Consider high-speed NAT products as a starting point, because they have
to keep roughly the same state and perform roughly the same functions.

Technology is just not a problem here.

Yes, this is a step up from today's SBR, but the major step up here
is because of the bandwidth, not the added complexity.  For folks
with a T1, the cannonical 2600 class machine will still run just
fine.  We have an existance proof thanks to NAT.
Yep.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com